Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dental hygienist?

Im in 10th grade and Im interested in becoming a dental hygienist. It seems like a pretty easy job with a good pay and good hours.


Is it a hard job?


What is the minimal amount of college I would need? How much would I make yearly salary with the min. amount?


And whats the nastiest stuff you have to do in the job? (Im not a big fan of bloody sites and stuff very cut open)


And what highschool courses would I need to take?


Thankss!

Dental hygienist?
I have been a hygienist for 6 years now and I love my job. My hours are great, no weekends or holidays. I do work until 7:00pm 2 days a week, but only until noon on Fridays.





The job can be challenging sometimes. Some patients have a lot of tartar buildup and stain, and it takes some work getting them clean. It's not an easy job by any means. You are responsible for another's oral health, dental education, identifying problems and figuring out what could be the problem.





I did 2 years of prerequisite classes, some people go year-round and get those classes done in 1 year. The dental hygiene core classes were another 2 years. The program is very tough and demanding. Definitely not an easy major.





Salaries vary, depending on how many hours you work and the area you are in. Hourly wages go from $23-$30 per hour. Yearly salaries are between $30,000-$40,000.





You will definitely see a lot of blood doing hygiene. Also a lot of food debris, plaque and tartar. You won't really see any 'cut open' sites.





In high school I emphasized taking biology and anatomy courses. I really didn't have a lot of freedom on classes to take, but if you do, focus on those and healthcare classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net