Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dental Assistant or Dental Hygienist?

I'm trying to possibly pursue a career in the dental field. I know I dont want to be an actual dentist...and I'm leaning more towards a hygienist...but can someone tell me the differences. And what career they think I should learn more into.

Dental Assistant or Dental Hygienist?
I am a dental asst and I wish I would have finished school and became a hygienist. They make a lot more money and make their own work schedule. The school is a lot harder but well worth it. The only thing is getting excepted into hygiene school, most of the time they only except 20 students. You don't have to go to school for dental asst and become certified in a short period of time (that's how it is in TX) A dental asst works with the dentist assisting fillings, extractions, fillings, xrays, sterilization and a few other things. I do enjoy it, but would have liked being a hygienist. Good luck!





I also work in ortho and love it!
Reply:I'm a registered dental assistant in ca. i am working toward becoming a hygienist. the major differences are school time. i became an assistant in 9 months. hygiene school is 2 years. but you also have to get your pre-req's out of the way first. its the same requirements as nursing. its also harder to get into hygiene school, and there usually a waiting list, or a lottery system used for selecting applicants. hygienist get paid alot more though. assistants can make alot i know a girl who makes $30 per hour. but shes been at it for 8 years. i make $18.50 per hour, and its only my second year in the business. but hygienists can make up to $40 per hour.


but the thing is all you do as a hygienist ids clean dirty mouths all day. its quite limited. as an assistant you can assist in surgeries, pediatrics, orthodontics, periodontics, orthodontics, prosthodontics, or general. i work in ortho, and i love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net