Monday, November 16, 2009

Need a game plan for myself to become a dental hygienist?

ok.ladies I really need your help on this one. I didn't go to college in my early 20's and I am now 28yrs old.Anyway I am with my son's father and we are having another child in august.He pays Most of the bill and the rent, and I hate to say has ALL the say in the house.I am tired of it. I want to make my own money and if things do work out I want to be able to support the kids myself. We are not in any fights or anything,however I just woke up one morning and said "Oh Sh*t" anyway when he has a bad mood he does talk about me not bring in as much money ( I work part-time) I don't want to live that way.I love him and at the end of the night he's sorryand I know he loves me too. I really can't say that I don't understand.Anyway I need some skills. it take a little over 2 yrs. to become a Hygienist and they make $60-64 thousand a year.My problem is its two years and I don't think my son father would be understanding all he is thinking is the NOW. Now is dental assisting in 8 months and it is soooo tempting and it will get me a job NOW like ASAP.Now sounds good but 60 -64k sounds better.I just don't know how to work it out.I really need some "Adult advice" because I really feel like a little girl.Should I go get the Dental Assisting First, then go study for the Dental Hygien?

Need a game plan for myself to become a dental hygienist?
If you are looking at going to a community college, it may take even longer than 2 years to do Dental Hygiene. The program probably has limited enrollment. You may need to take preregs first. Once you get into the program, it will be very demanding.





Not trying to discourage you, but just look at it realistically. Have you talked to anyone at the college yet?





Dental Assisting might have limited enrollment too. Like you said though, the program isn't as long. For instance at my community college it takes 46 credit hours to get a diploma in Dental Assisting and 76 credit hours to get a degree in Dental Hygiene.





Just think long and hard before you do anything. Consider other programs they have at the community college (maybe Dental Administrative Assistant). Talk to the advisors and department chairs at the college in the health sciences programs.





There is a lot for you to think about. Including how the demands of school will effect your family and how you will pay for school. I would start by going to the community college and taking the placement tests and talking to right people.
Reply:Oh, please go for it if that is what you want to do. Thinking long term is going to be very valuable to you over the course of your life, and that of your child or children. In 10 years you will be 10 years older, you know,whether you are a dental hygenist or working at Walmart, you will still be 10 years older.





I have a friend who was the mother of teenagers who worked at Walmart, but decided to go to school to become a hygenist. It was hard, but she did it, she was tops in her class, and now what a nice life she has. She even teaches some classes to hygene students where she went to school on the days she is not working at a dentists office, and she is really in demand and doing well for herself. Now her kids are in college, and she is happily working away at a job she loves, making good money, and 10 years older. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net