Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm 16 and I want to become a dental hygienist...?

what are some classes I need, or should take in high school to help me? Also, i need help with like what to take in college.. im just really confused about this lol. Do i need to go to dental school? Please can you give me all the information you know that will help me?? thanks!!

I'm 16 and I want to become a dental hygienist...?
Hi--in HS you should take four years of English and four years of Math, and four years of lab science. Those aren't specific to dental hygiene, but research shows that students who take those courses are better prepared and more likely to succeed in college, whatever their major.





Dental hygiene doesn't require dental school (that's for dentists!). You can become a dental hygienist in some states with a two-year associate degree (I think--been a few years since I studied curricula); there are also bachelor's degree programs which might be a good investment because then you will probably be eligible for licensing in all states, and it will look better on your resume.





Yes, your high school counselor can help you. You also could contact colleges directly. Starting at a community college is a good idea regardless of whether you want the bachelor's or just the associate's--the CC will save you money while delivering the same quality of education--just be sure to get proper advising about course selection so that all of your CC work will transfer to a four-year university if you choose to go that way.
Reply:Good for you for narrowing down what you'd like to do. Definitely need health science. Also talk to your counselor see if they have recommendations as well as resources on schools for dental hygeniests.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net